Past IN THE KNOW Updates
LIONS PARK & SPLASH PAD UPDATES
August 10, 2023- A splash pad pre-construction meeting was attended by City staff, M Anderson Construction Corp., Novak Environmental and Psomas on August 9. Design elements, the structure of the foundation and manufacturing of components was discussed among other related topics. We're getting closer to breaking ground!
Funding for the Land Water Conservation Fund Grant awarded in May 2022 for Lions Park improvements including additional playing fields, a new ramada and pickleball courts is hoped to be released on October 1st. Once funding is released we will be able to begin the project! Due to the terms and conditions of the grant, the City is not able to incur any expenses until we have received a signed agreement and notice to proceed.
Documents are in the process of being finalized and a bid package is being prepared for the Community Development Block Grant project to include new restrooms and a concession stand to accompany the aforementioned new additions to the park.
July 27, 2022- The Splash Pad is currently in the Request for Information phase of the bidding process. A couple of contractors have expressed interest in undertaking the project. Cost estimates and the concept plan for a restroom with concessions and paved parking area for the softball field complex have been submitted for Community Development Block Grant funding. Playground relocation is in the design phase.June 13, 2022- The City of Benson has been awarded an Arizona State Parks Land and Water Conservation Fund Grant in the amount of $750,000. The grant is a 50/50 match grant; the total cost of the project is estimated to be $ 1,508,700.00. The project includes the following additions/improvements to Lions Park:
- Grading, utilities & lighting for 4 pickleball courts and 2 new softball fields
- Replacement of large group ramada including electrical upgrades
- Landscape and Irrigation
- Project funding is expected to be released in January or March of 2023 depending upon the completion of the review of cultural documentation by the State Historic Preservation Office and finalization of federal forms.
- Splash pad plans are expected any day. Once the plans are back the project can go out for bid.
February 8, 2022- Staff checked on the progress of the Plans, Specs & Engineering and it looks like the City won't have a bid package until mid-April, making the hoped-for date of the end of May not possible. We will continue to monitor progress and see if there is anything that can be done to speed up the process as we move forward. More information will be provided here, please check back. Thank you!
- Landscape Architect created Conceptual Plan to take to Council - COMPLETED
- Landscape Architect examining and evaluating current playground equipment for recommendations of repairs/replacement and the new playground layout plan - CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS
- Use of one of the City's on-call Engineering Firms to complete Plan, Specs & Engineering (which will create a "bid package") - CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS
- Advertise the Request for Bids (Advertising for approximately 30 days)
- Receive the bids, evaluation of bids must be done to determine a recommendation for Council consideration
- Council award of the construction contract (at a Council meeting)